Keto For Beginners
Keto is a low carb and high fat diet that is known for its effective and fast fat burning. Many studies have shown that following a keto diet can benefit weight loss, health and performance. Its also a diet supported by many medical professionals due to peoples ability to lose excess body fat without battling hunger pains.
Below you can learn everything a beginner would need to start their keto journey.
What is keto?
Keto is short for ketogenic, which is a diet derived from that science of small fuel molecules called ketones. We produce ketones when we have low carb intake and moderate protein intake. These ketones are produced from the fat in our liver and are used as a source of fuel for our bodies.
So switching to a keto diet means that your body is using fuel from fat burning to run the body. This makes it easier to burn off excess body fat.
When ketones are produced the body enters a state called ketosis. Ketosis is basically a state of burning fat. This means that keto is a diet that helps the body burn excess fat without having to fast or starve oneself.
Who shouldn’t do keto?
While a keto diet is safe for most people its important to consult with a doctor or medical professional before starting any diet.
People who should be more careful with a keto diet include:
– People on medication for diabetes
– People on medication for high blood pressure
– Breastfeeding mothers
What foods are keto?
Keto is about ensuring you have low carb intake, therefore most people should aim to stay under 20-50 grams of carbs per day. The less carbs the better the fat burning.
Foods to eat:
– High fat foods (salmon, nuts, peanut butter, avocado)
– Moderate protein (chicken, steak, protein powder)
– Water, tea, coffee (without any sugar or sweeteners)
What to avoid?
There are a few foods you’ll need to avoid for an effective keto diet.
– Sugary foods (candy, soft drinks)
– Starchy foods (bread, pasta, potatoes)
– Processed or refined foods.
What are the major health benefits?
Weight loss is a major benefit of a keto diet due to the increased fat burning. Recent studies show that a keto diet results in more effective and fast weight loss than other popular diets. Keto also allows you to learn to control your appetite and recognize how hunger works. Due to the body running on fat burning the feelings of hunger are decreased and you can begin to recognize when you need to eat. Understanding your bodies hunger also helps with weight loss, as there is no more over eating, sugar cravings or other eating issues.
A keto diet is also great for controlling blood sugar levels and has been seen to reverse type 2 diabetes in some studies. Therefore keto is also a great way of preventing type 2 diabetes, improving blood sugar levels, insulin levels and blood pressure. A keto diet has also been observed to help improve heart disease factors like cholesterol, weight and waist size.
Another factor often overlook is that a keto diet can help improve mental performance and health. Due to the increase in energy from the fat burning mental capabilities are improved. Many people report feeling more focused and alert whilst on a keto diet due to the steady flow of fuel.
The 7 things you need to know to get started:
- Limit carbs. Ideally carb intake should be less than 20 grams per day.
- Moderate protein levels. Only eat the protein you need and avoid eating high levels of protein.
- Eat fat. Ensure you are consuming high levels of fat.
- Avoid snacking. Try to only eat when you feel genially hungry.
- Try intermittent fasting. Intermittent fasting involves only eating during a specified time period. For example 8 hours of eating and 16 hours of fasting. This compliments a keto diet very well and can help speed up fat loss.
- Adding physical activity will help accelerate fat loss.
- Sleep. Make sure you are getting your recommended hours of sleep each night. Sleep helps regulate blood sugar levels and will improve weight loss.
In order to gain the most out of a Keto based diet, we suggest you try using speciality supplements. These include Keto Fuel, Boss Lady and Keto High Octane. These supplements are designed to assist you in staying within a state of Ketosis whilst optimizing your energy and focus. These are perfect to help power you through your busy work day or workout.
Check out Keto Fuel here: